Kinectrics Inc.Visit website
800 Kipling Avenue, Unit 2
Toronto, Ontario, M8Z 5G5
Key Contact Personnel:
Dave Clarke, General Manager email@example.com
Bert Grespan, Department Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrew Haines, HC Lab Supervisor email@example.com
Zsolt Peter, Mgr. Mechanical Test Lab firstname.lastname@example.org
HV Lab: 1956
HC Lab: 1960
Mechanical Lab: 1986
Major Export Markets Served (2019): Canada, USA, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Spain, France, Malaysia, India, China, Turkey, UK, Denmark, Belgium, and Germany
Industry Standards: ISO 9001, ISO 17025, IEEE, ANSI, ASTM, CSA, IEC, NEMA, AS, AEIC
High Voltage Laboratory
Number of Employees in High Voltage Laboratory: 6
Dimension of Main Test Hall:
30 m length x 15 width x 15 m height
Dimension of Secondary Test Hall:
15 m length x 15 m width x 15 m height
Dielectric Testing Facilities
|Impulse Testing:||Max. Volt./Current||Standard/Remarks|
|Lightning Impulse||Indoor 1.8 MV||Compliant with IEC 60060 series standards and IEEE Std. 4 All applicable IEC, ANSI, CSA, IEEE standards related to high voltage equipment testing|
|Switching Imp. (Dry)||Indoor 1.3 MV|
|Switching Imp. (Wet)||Indoor 1.3 MV|
|Dry||Indoor 750 kV|
|Outdoor 750 kV|
|Wet||Indoor 750 kV|
|Mobile Resonant Sets:||700 kV||variable inductance|
|520 kV||variable frequency|
|Wet||700 kV||(mobile system)|
|PD & RIV Testing:||350 kV & 750 kV|
|Capacitance &Tan ∂ Testing:||450 kV|
Dimension of Main Test Chamber:
10 m length x 4 m width x 13 m height
|Standard||Max. A.C. Volt.||Temp from – to °C|
|Clean Fog||IEC, IEEE||350 kV||-15°C to +4°C|
|Cold Fog||350 kV||-15°C to +4°C|
|Icing Tests||ANSI, IEC||350 kV||-15°C to +4°C|
Specialized Facilities & Typical Tests Performed:
Insulator tracking wheels (spray and dip), salt fog ageing/corrosion
HV Cable Testing:
To industry standards (eg. IEC 60840, IEC 62067, AEIC CS9-06, IEEE 404) for cable systems up to 500 kV rated voltage.
Core Qualification tests (including Accelerated Water Treeing Test):
• Dedicated facility to currently test one cable design;
• Testing performed to industry standards (CSA C68.5, AEIC CS5)
Other Tests Performed on Insulators, Arresters, Bushings, Cable Terminations:
Partial Discharge, load cycling, long-term ageing, all standard insulator tests, all standard cable qualification tests, all standard bushing, termination, and arrester tests
Corona & RIV Testing:
Insulator assemblies, line hardware and station equipment for up to 765 kV AC and 600 kV DC systems
Safety Equipment Testing Services:
• Rubber insulating protective equipment certification and periodic testing (to ISO 17025)
• Rubber gloves, blankets, mats, insulated aerial devices, live line tools
High Current Laboratory
Number of Employees in HC Laboratory: 7
Power Source for the HC Laboratory:
3 high-current transformers fed from the power system
Specifications of Main Test Bay:
• Large indoor test cell 16m lengths x 6 m width x 6m heighht, 4.5 m door height
• Additional Outdoor concrete vaults also available
Possible Power Frequency: 60 Hz
Max. MVA:200 MVA
Max. kV: 20 kV
Max. kA & Duration: 100 kA rms
Low and Medium Voltage Tests:
Standard and qualification tests on apparatus such as distribution transformers, disconnect switches, grounding switches, temporary working grounds, connectors, reactors: Arc rating (ATPV) of FR textiles, garments and other PPE
Heat Run Tests:
Single and three phase low voltage, high current testing up to 16,000 A on reactors, transformers, CTs, switchgear etc.
Other High Power Tests Offered:
DC power source, up to 800 V, 5 kA continuous, 40 kA momentary.
Mechanical Test Laboratory
Number of Employees in Mechanical Test Laboratory: 14
• Galloping specs: 40 m length
• High capacity multi-purpose strong floor – 10 m x 20 m
• Vibration spans: length from 15 m to 90 m, up to 50,000 lb (225 kN) equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, instrumentation and data acquisition systems
• Eleven creep spans with various lengths and loading capacity; ambient temperature and high temperature creep bays
• Connector test facility – six heat cycle loops, up to 12,000 A capacity
• Thermal chambers – 6 m length x 5 m width x 3 m height walk-in chamber, temperature range from -50ºC to + 80ºC
• Sheave test facilities, fixed sheave and sheave pulley system
• Three mechanical cycling test bays
• Sub-span oscillation and longitudinal flexibility test machine drives for spacer-dampers
• Seismic test facility – Tri-axial shaker for equipment qualification
• Overhead fibre optic cables
• Various types of overhead conductors including high temperature low sag conductors
• Fittings, clamps, connectors, vibration dampers, spacer-dampers and many other components
• Horizontal tensile machining: 100 kip and 200 kip, 15 m length (50 ft.)
• Vertical tensile machining: 120 kip and 600 kip, 2.55 m length (8 ft.)
Other Test Capabilities
On-site Commissioning Testing of Transmission Class Cables:
On-site AC Hi-Pot commissioning testing according to IEC 60840 and IEC 62067 using a mobile resonant test set (260 kV/ 83 Amp). Testing includes Partial Discharge (PD) testing using ultra broadband PD monitors with Kinectrics daisy- chain network.
On-site Partial Discharge Testing of Cables:
On-site partial discharge testing of cables using non-invasive capacitive or inductive PD sensors using ultra broadband PD monitors. The technology used can pinpoint the location of individual PD sources occurring simultaneously. Continuous monitoring solutions offered
On-line Partial Discharge Testing:
On-site PD measuring and analysis services for on-line diagnostic testing of transformers, MV and HV cables, and bushings.
For detection of water treeing in XLPE and EPR cables and moisture presence in PILC cables.
GIS Commisioning Services:
Mobile 700 kV resonant test system (13nF at 700 kV, 52 nF at 350 kV).
Generator and Motor Lab and Field Services:
Stator Bar/Coil insulation Qualification: voltage endurance (IEEE 1043), thermal cycling (IEEE 1310), turn insulation testing (IEEE 522). Field diagnostic and condition assessment testing of generators and motors.
Mobile Test Equipment:
75 kV, 30 kV and 20 kV test sets for MV cables and generator testing incl. full range of diagnostic services. Full Suite of Field Testing IR/PI, AC/DC over voltage, Partial Discharge, C&DF, TVA /Corona, EL-CID RSO.
High Voltage Motor & Generators:
Inspection, Consultancy and root cause failure analysis services.
On-Site Commissioning & Maintenance Testing:
Medium Voltage cables and Metal clad switchgear using AC Hi-Pot and PD testing.
On-site condition assessment testing of overhead conductors using LineVue™ technology.
Lab Testing Services for Distributed Generation (DG):
Facility can test up to 6 inverters in parallel and features PV array simulators for testing inverters up to 45 kW. Capabilities: Inverter efficiency and MPPT, power quality, Fault current contribution, anti-islanding, ride-through and other protection functions.